A trapper built the log cabin around 1835 in the Missouri River floodplains, and around 1850 it was moved to its present-day location. It was used as a residence until 1954, occupied by just three families from 1856 to 1950.The building was one and a half stories tall with a bedroom in the loft. Hand-hewn cottonwood logs surrounded a dirt floor and fireplace. In 1906 a kitchen and pantry were added to the east side; in 1972 the Sarpy County Historical Society a basement was dug and the main floor was restored. Today, the Society maintains the building in near-original condition as a memorial to the living conditions of the pioneers.The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 16, 1970.